Projects

Back to Glasgow West War Story

Project Title: Glasgow West War Story

Exhibition: Doctors at D-Day: Professor Grist's story

To be added later.

Assets in this exhibition:

Captain Norman Grist

Exhibition Image One

Description

Captain Norman Grist, RAMC.

Source

Date: 1944
Location: Glasgow
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


223 Field Ambulance

Exhibition Image One

Description

Members of the 223 Field Ambulance embussed for 'J-Camp' and embarkation for 'Operation Overlord' - D-Day.

Source

Date: 1944
Contributor: Professor Grist
Location: Chailey, Sussex
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


223 Field Ambulance, Section 3

Exhibition Image One

Description

Members of the 223 Field Ambulance Section 3 at Chailey Camp in Sussex before embarkation for D-Day. Norman Grist is in the front row of the photograph, fourth from the right. He was a lieutenant at this point, as can be seen from the two pips worn on his shoulder straps.

Source

Date: 1944
Location: Chailey, Sussex
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


German tank

Exhibition Image One

Description

German tank in Normandy, 1944

Source

Date: 1944
Contributor: Professor Grist
Location: Normandy, France
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


German tank and nebelwerfer

Exhibition Image One

Description

German tank and nebelwerfer in Normandy. A nebelwerfer was a multiple rocket launched used by the German Army in World War II and were capable of delivering large amounts of explosive, poisonous gases and fluids. The name nebelwerfer means smoke launcher.

Source

Date: 1944
Contributor: Professor Grist
Location: Normandy, France
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


Omaha beach

Exhibition Image One

Description

End of a landing craft on Omaha beach.

Source

Date: 1944
Contributor: Professor Grist
Location: Omaha beach, Normandy, France
Original Source: Professor Grist private collection


Clogs

Exhibition Image One

Description

These clogs were given to Professor Grist by a Dutch family during the war.

Source

Date: 2009
Contributor: Professor Grist


Operation Overlord: D-Day landings

Exhibition Image One

Description

This photograph shows the view of the Mulberry B harbour, looking South West, on D-Day. Mulberry A and Mulberry B harbour were two artificial harbours used for offloading troops, vehicles and supplies during the Allied landings in Normandy. The harbours were prefabricated in Britain, carried across the English Channel by the advancing troops and assembled off the coast of Nornamday just after D-Day. Mulberry A harbour was assembled for the American troops landing at Omaha Beach and Mulberry B harbour off Arromanches at Gold Beach was used by the British and Canadian Forces. Mulberry A harbour was destoyed on the 19th June after a large storm. Mulberry B lasted for 10 months and in that time it is estimated that it assisted the landing of 2.5 million troops, half a million vehicles, and four million tonnes of supplies.

Source

Date: 1944
Location: Gold Beach
Original Source: The National Archives Image Library. Image reference: DEFE 2/499.